Welcome to Curriculum Support, a department which supports the activities of those in school who are our most vulnerable. We work closely with all school departments, helping them and individual teachers to assess needs then supporting them to develop strategies to best meet those needs.
The St Gabriel’s Team is:
Mr P Bannerman - Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO)
Mrs C Rafferty - Specialist Teacher in Specific Learning Needs
Ms L Whelan, Ms L Dolan, Ms A Freeman, Ms K Bowers - Higher Level Teaching Assistants
Our Special Support Assistants: Ms P Sensale, Mr D Pepperday, Ms J Boucher, Ms C Woodall,
Ms P Lord, Ms J Chidgey, Ms H Talbot
The support provided ranges from giving advice on approaches to quality first teaching to meet needs to liaising with departments, school management, outside agencies and our local authority to organise intervention.
We organise appropriate assessments for pupils to assist in determining appropriate strategies to allow pupils to access their curriculum and make good progress. We intervene directly and we organise for other agencies to intervene on a pupil’s behalf. We operate with a pupil centred inclusive policy approach.
Our support includes:
• Specialist Teaching
• Small Group Work
• Homework Support – twice per week after school
• In Class Group Support
• In Class Individual Support
• Peer Reading – Reading Stars
• Spelling(literacy) Intervention - using IDL
• Numeracy Intervention – using Numicon
• Speech and Language Intervention
• Social Communication Skills Intervention – one to one
• Social Communication Skills Intervention – small group
• Emotional and Behaviour Intervention – via outside agencies
• Liaison with external agencies and parents • The Sanctuary
We work closely with our pupils and their parents to ensure delivery of our policy of a pupil centred approach and inclusion within a Catholic community united by Christ’s teaching, and believe that each pupil should be known, loved and valued by encouragement to realise their potential